PARADOXICAL

The faith chronicles

Sunday, August 02, 2026

 

August 2026 Recap: A Hodgepodge of Things High and Low

August 2026 Recap: A Hodgepodge of Things High and Low

Things I randomly picked up on FB even while I wasn't watching the news. They are listed one at a time as they appeared through the month:

***

I failed to note last month that national dailies picked up the news of the sudden demise of our youngest councilor. It is something I didn't expect.

***

Dr. Fauci received a severe battering from Republican senators asking him about COVID and the government policies he helped form at the time. 

***

"Alex Eala made history on August 3, 2026, by becoming the first tennis player from the Philippines to win a WTA singles title." >>> Eala's victory renewed my keen interest in tennis, but for a different purpose: to annihil@te all these mosquitoes going after my blood using this rechargeable racquet that I bought. Wait, it is called electric swatter. I aim for a perfect score each time. 

***

"Man arrested after dressing as Grim Reaper at a hospital and staring at patient in Wales." >> Haha! Fake news or not, I hate him already!

***

"Trucks carrying 200 pigs crashes in Bukidnon. Instead of helping, the crowd steals the pigs." >>> Tragedy quickly turns into 'Agawan ng Biik' game where you end up with a dirty piglet as your prize.

***

Somewhere in Manila, an acacia tree on the side of the street suddenly fell on the road, nearly missing passing vehicles and causing a traffic gridlock. I would learn days later that a delivery driver died on the spot after taking a breather under that tree. >>> I suddenly have a new fear: standing underneath a tree.

***

The debate on Pax Silica intensified. But not a few smart cookies saw through it and felt the hand of China behind the demonization. I'd say let's not fall for the ruse--I mean, China's hidden machinations. Let's not be too naive--let us be always mindful of psychological warfare, 'agitprop,' espionage and the like around us--yes, from both sides of the ideological fence.

***

Everybody seems to have watched the latest Spiderman movie and thoroughly enjoyed it. >>> Despite the silly premise of a man improbably turning into a spider scaling NYC skyscrapers, moviegoers are willing to shell out a huge sum -- for the ticket, fare/gas, and snacks -- just to see what is essentially a fantasy movie with a compelling story. I have willingly fallen for the ruse myself, several times over.  

***

"A 67-year-old woman in Colombia monetized neighborhood gossip so successfully that she has bought 2 houses down. She charges per secret and gets paid even more to stay quiet." >>> Evil kind of smart.

***

Typhoon 'Luis' and 'Maymay'--which intensified the monsoon rains and was influenced by super-typhoon improbably named 'Dolphin'--brought torrential rains and caused flooding in many areas of the country. >>> It was a worryingly wet and waterlogged world for the greater part of our three long weeks--and it had many pros and cons. But in terms of resiliency, we should learn to get on with our lives as scheduled while it's raining that strong and that long. Now we had to make up for a 3-week backlog.

***

Why are people posting their student IDs on their FB 'Story'?

***

In his visit to Davao City, a Duterte bailiwick, Pres. Marcos was heckled by high school students in the most embarrassing manner that one felt sorry for him and the high office he represented. I've never seen such a low level of disrespect for a man of high authority, but I also understand where the utter contempt and anger is coming from, considering everything that is happening around us. 

***

A devastating 7.4 magnitude earthquake rocked Colombia – collapsing buildings, trapping people under rubble and killing over 100 people. 

***

Viral sa trial> "Private prosecutor Lorna Kapunan presented acknowledgment receipts submitted by the Office of the Vice President (OVP) to the Commission on Audit–Intelligence and Confidential Funds Audit Office (COA-ICFAO) as supplemental documents for confidential fund cash advances. The documents, presented in relation to allegations of confidential fund misuse, included receipts bearing names of supposed recipients whose identities were questioned, with some reportedly having no matching records in the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA) database. Among the listed transactions were a ₱70,000 payment to “Mary Grace Piattos” for medicines, an ₱85,000 payment to “Nova Santos” for various goods, and a ₱295,000 payment to “Mico P. Harina” for purchased supplies. >>> Creativity fail!

***

"Isang 22-anyos na empleyado sa Alicante, Spain ang sinibak matapos paulit-ulit umanong pumasok nang mas maaga kaysa sa itinakdang oras." >>> What kind of stupid penalizes punctuality? 

***

"Julian Assange sounded the alarm about this years ago. Today, it is a normal part of how the internet (and politicians) work. The sudden deactivation of federal resources like Climate.gov highlights a growing crisis: our history is being quietly erased by centralized digital servers." >>> This is scary, but I already had a taste of it after having my original FB account deleted for no explicit reason. I am worried about my accounts on another social media site where almost all of what I've written since year 2000 is stored online.

***

Another trending party game emerged in which participants take turns eating certain foodstuff on the table and for some reason finds it funny and laugh at themselves. >>> I worry about the participants choking on the noodle.

***

Another trending game is called the 'Pass the Mic' challenge, I think. I now follow this group from Bohol called Tropang Singers doing old high-pitched hits like Debbie Gibson songs. >>> I can just imagine inserting myself in the lineup and easily ruining the game. This game is highly discriminatory to the not-so-vocally endowed. 

***

Not long after Venezuela and Colombia, strong earthquakes shook parts of Egypt and Indonesia, Spain and Peru too--and those are just the countries that I happen to stumble upon while scrolling through my screen. It's like one earthquake triggering another, then another, then another, ad infinitum.

***

Meanwhile, while we keep on blaming the flood control budget scandal at home, there were some serious flooding in different parts of the world, too, including Japan, not just in the Philippines. I lost count. 

***

Local literary luminary Marra PL. Lanot died. >>> Haven't read her work, but I'm a big fan of her husband's writing -- the amazingly skillful screenwriter, poet, and essayist Pete Lacaba, whom I have 'met' (and his son Kris) online in the distant past.

***

Hollywood actress Hayden Panettiere died aged 36. >>> A name I have encountered several times while watching movies.

***

"Trash piles up in Metro Manila waters after habagat-induced flooding." >>> Why is everyone acting so surprised? This has long been a sad and tragic old normal for Metro Manila. Have we suddenly gone blind? A culture that treats public spaces as personal trash can needs some serious soul-searching.

***

Songs that trended lately because of FB reels or stories and TikTok dance videos: Ice Spice - Big Guy (from "The SpongeBob Movie: Search for SquarePants”); Olivia Dean - So Easy (To Fall in Love); Benson Boone - Beautiful Things; Paul n Ballin - Pogi; Alex Warren - Ordinary

I like each of these -- catchy, memorable, enjoyable, upbeat, fun, and... different or new.

***

Reportedly trending: No-water chicken soup (with apple and Napa cabbage, etc.) >> Intriguing, so a must-try. I only tried pork chop with apple before at Almon Marina, which I liked, at least for its novelty.

***
 
A Grade 10 math wizard with a Chinese surname in Ateneo de Zamboanga, an exclusive Catholic school, was gunned down by a classmate of his with an Arabic/Muslim-sounding name. The latter was reportedly a Roblox gamer, a top student in his class, and managed to enter the school using his policeman father's car with the gun in a bag and even streamlined the grisly proceedings on social media. He was not bullied. He was not depressed. So what made him snap?

Ironically, a report said a simulation of such a scenario was just done on the same campus a few days ago.

This unprecedented non-development used to be unthinkable, but Pinoys being Pinoys, a Columbine copycat is perhaps inevitable. This is pure evil.

Others warn that talking about these things in detail could drive other kids to copy the same awful feat. There's truth to that: Just because something is true does not always mean it should be brought to light in grisly detail.

***

A rarity: An unusual grouping of 9 Nicobar pigeons was sighted in a tree in Bataraza Is., Palawan. A pigeon rarely sighted in the Philippines, it is even rarer to see it in a group because it normally appears solitary or in pairs, per birdwatchers' routine photos of this species.

***

Tatlong taong gulang na bata, nakunan sa CCTV ang pagbagsak mula sa kanilang bahay, pero himala siyang nasalo ng kanyang tiyanin na bumaba para lamang mag-CR.

***

Mag-iina, natagpuang patay sa loob ng isang sasakyan sa Brgy. Talacsan, San Rafael, Bulacan. >>> Intriguing case!

***

In closing, here are two alliterative headlines I wish I could use one of these days. I just couldn't find the perfect timing: "Pinarangalan ngunit Pinangaralan";  "Komendasyon, Naging Kondemnasyon



Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

Archives

01/01/2004 - 02/01/2004   02/01/2004 - 03/01/2004   03/01/2004 - 04/01/2004   04/01/2004 - 05/01/2004   05/01/2004 - 06/01/2004   06/01/2004 - 07/01/2004   07/01/2004 - 08/01/2004   08/01/2004 - 09/01/2004   09/01/2004 - 10/01/2004   10/01/2004 - 11/01/2004   11/01/2004 - 12/01/2004   12/01/2004 - 01/01/2005   01/01/2005 - 02/01/2005   02/01/2005 - 03/01/2005   03/01/2005 - 04/01/2005   04/01/2005 - 05/01/2005   05/01/2005 - 06/01/2005   06/01/2005 - 07/01/2005   07/01/2005 - 08/01/2005   08/01/2005 - 09/01/2005   09/01/2005 - 10/01/2005   10/01/2005 - 11/01/2005   11/01/2005 - 12/01/2005   12/01/2005 - 01/01/2006   02/01/2006 - 03/01/2006   03/01/2006 - 04/01/2006   04/01/2006 - 05/01/2006   05/01/2006 - 06/01/2006   06/01/2006 - 07/01/2006   07/01/2006 - 08/01/2006   08/01/2006 - 09/01/2006   09/01/2006 - 10/01/2006   10/01/2006 - 11/01/2006   11/01/2006 - 12/01/2006   12/01/2006 - 01/01/2007   01/01/2007 - 02/01/2007   02/01/2007 - 03/01/2007   03/01/2007 - 04/01/2007   04/01/2007 - 05/01/2007   05/01/2007 - 06/01/2007   06/01/2007 - 07/01/2007   07/01/2007 - 08/01/2007   08/01/2007 - 09/01/2007   09/01/2007 - 10/01/2007   10/01/2007 - 11/01/2007   11/01/2007 - 12/01/2007   12/01/2007 - 01/01/2008   01/01/2008 - 02/01/2008   02/01/2008 - 03/01/2008   03/01/2008 - 04/01/2008   04/01/2008 - 05/01/2008   05/01/2008 - 06/01/2008   06/01/2008 - 07/01/2008   07/01/2008 - 08/01/2008   08/01/2008 - 09/01/2008   09/01/2008 - 10/01/2008   10/01/2008 - 11/01/2008   11/01/2008 - 12/01/2008   12/01/2008 - 01/01/2009   01/01/2009 - 02/01/2009   04/01/2009 - 05/01/2009   05/01/2009 - 06/01/2009   06/01/2009 - 07/01/2009   07/01/2009 - 08/01/2009   08/01/2009 - 09/01/2009   09/01/2009 - 10/01/2009   10/01/2009 - 11/01/2009   11/01/2009 - 12/01/2009   01/01/2010 - 02/01/2010   02/01/2010 - 03/01/2010   03/01/2010 - 04/01/2010   04/01/2010 - 05/01/2010   05/01/2010 - 06/01/2010   06/01/2010 - 07/01/2010   07/01/2010 - 08/01/2010   08/01/2010 - 09/01/2010   09/01/2010 - 10/01/2010   11/01/2010 - 12/01/2010   01/01/2011 - 02/01/2011   02/01/2011 - 03/01/2011   03/01/2011 - 04/01/2011   04/01/2011 - 05/01/2011   05/01/2011 - 06/01/2011   06/01/2011 - 07/01/2011   07/01/2011 - 08/01/2011   08/01/2011 - 09/01/2011   09/01/2011 - 10/01/2011   10/01/2011 - 11/01/2011   11/01/2011 - 12/01/2011   12/01/2011 - 01/01/2012   02/01/2012 - 03/01/2012   03/01/2012 - 04/01/2012   04/01/2012 - 05/01/2012   05/01/2012 - 06/01/2012   06/01/2012 - 07/01/2012   07/01/2012 - 08/01/2012   08/01/2012 - 09/01/2012   09/01/2012 - 10/01/2012   10/01/2012 - 11/01/2012   11/01/2012 - 12/01/2012   12/01/2012 - 01/01/2013   01/01/2013 - 02/01/2013   02/01/2013 - 03/01/2013   03/01/2013 - 04/01/2013   04/01/2013 - 05/01/2013   05/01/2013 - 06/01/2013   06/01/2013 - 07/01/2013   07/01/2013 - 08/01/2013   08/01/2013 - 09/01/2013   09/01/2013 - 10/01/2013   10/01/2013 - 11/01/2013   11/01/2013 - 12/01/2013   12/01/2013 - 01/01/2014   01/01/2014 - 02/01/2014   02/01/2014 - 03/01/2014   03/01/2014 - 04/01/2014   04/01/2014 - 05/01/2014   05/01/2014 - 06/01/2014   06/01/2014 - 07/01/2014   07/01/2014 - 08/01/2014   10/01/2014 - 11/01/2014   11/01/2014 - 12/01/2014   01/01/2015 - 02/01/2015   03/01/2015 - 04/01/2015   04/01/2015 - 05/01/2015   05/01/2016 - 06/01/2016   07/01/2016 - 08/01/2016   08/01/2016 - 09/01/2016   02/01/2018 - 03/01/2018   03/01/2018 - 04/01/2018   07/01/2018 - 08/01/2018   04/01/2019 - 05/01/2019   05/01/2019 - 06/01/2019   09/01/2019 - 10/01/2019   02/01/2020 - 03/01/2020   04/01/2020 - 05/01/2020   05/01/2020 - 06/01/2020   06/01/2020 - 07/01/2020   07/01/2020 - 08/01/2020   08/01/2020 - 09/01/2020   09/01/2020 - 10/01/2020   01/01/2021 - 02/01/2021   10/01/2021 - 11/01/2021   11/01/2021 - 12/01/2021   12/01/2021 - 01/01/2022   05/01/2022 - 06/01/2022   06/01/2022 - 07/01/2022   08/01/2022 - 09/01/2022   10/01/2022 - 11/01/2022   02/01/2023 - 03/01/2023   08/01/2023 - 09/01/2023   10/01/2023 - 11/01/2023   12/01/2023 - 01/01/2024   01/01/2024 - 02/01/2024   02/01/2024 - 03/01/2024   05/01/2024 - 06/01/2024   07/01/2024 - 08/01/2024   08/01/2024 - 09/01/2024   09/01/2024 - 10/01/2024   10/01/2024 - 11/01/2024   11/01/2024 - 12/01/2024   01/01/2025 - 02/01/2025   03/01/2025 - 04/01/2025   04/01/2025 - 05/01/2025   05/01/2025 - 06/01/2025   06/01/2025 - 07/01/2025   07/01/2025 - 08/01/2025   08/01/2025 - 09/01/2025   09/01/2025 - 10/01/2025   10/01/2025 - 11/01/2025   11/01/2025 - 12/01/2025   12/01/2025 - 01/01/2026   01/01/2026 - 02/01/2026   02/01/2026 - 03/01/2026   03/01/2026 - 04/01/2026   04/01/2026 - 05/01/2026   05/01/2026 - 06/01/2026   06/01/2026 - 07/01/2026   07/01/2026 - 08/01/2026   08/01/2026 - 09/01/2026  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]